According to the law, Vietnam transit visa is normally valid for 5 days and this kind of visa can only be granted for groups in tour accompanied by a tour guide. Any tour which need a transit visa must supply detailed itinerary and provide with guarantee letter from the travel agent organizing the tour.
Pursuant to the Law No. 47/2014/QH13 which takes effect on 1st Jan 2015 on entry, exit, transit visa, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, regulations on transit passengers, especially Slovak travelers through Vietnam is stipulated as below.
1. Requirements for Vietnam transit visa for Slovak citizens through Vietnam
Slovak nationals will be issued a transit visa through Vietnam if they obtain below required documents: a passport which has validity of at least 6 months, a ticket which specifies the third destined country, a visa granted by the arrival country as mentioned (in case there is no visa, the arrival country must be in list of Vietnam exemption from visa to enter Vietnam). According to the rule, Slovakia is not in Vietnam Visa Exemption list, so they must apply Vietnam visa.
2. Transit area
Transit area shall be proclaimed and restricted by the authority in which Slovak visitors shall stay in during transit duration.
3. Transit by air
– With transit by air, Slovak citizens are free from visa requirements. However, they must stay in the restricted transit area at the airport and wait for the connecting flight to the destined country.
– In case Slovak passport holders who wants to go outside the transit area for any purpose, that individual shall become a subject for a compulsory transit visa in accordance with specific transit duration.
4. Transit by cruise
Slovak citizens traveling to Vietnam by cruises and having to transit through Vietnam are free from visa requirement but must stay in a restricted transit area such as ports in which their ships are anchoring. In case Slovak nationals want to go outside the transit area for tourism purpose, they must apply services from an international tourist company who must present travel program of the foreigners in details to the competent authority.
Can I do transit through Vietnam without visa?
Slovak citizens whose country are in Vietnam exemption list of visa to enter Vietnam will be free from visa requirement in a particular length of stay stipulated by the authority. Unless your country are in exemption list, you are recommended Vietnam visa (stamped on passport in case granted at Embassy/Consulate) or visa approval letter (issued by the Immigration Dept in case getting visa upon arrival) in advance. The website Vietnam Embassy in Slovakia which is provided for information and service purpose will supply you with all information about how to get Vietnam visa.
You will not have to get a Vietnam visa in advance if you satisfy these following conditions:
- Transit and leave Vietnam for a third country within 24 hours (for example, from Bangkok to Hanoi to Singapore – you cannot “transit” back to the country you started in, like Bangkok to Hanoi to Phuket)
- Apply a valid onward ticket
- Strictly stay in transit area during waiting for the connecting flight
- Have a valid entry document to your final destination
- Travel by a full-service airline (many low-cost airlines such as Jet Star and Vietjet Air will not provide travelers with transit support service even in a very short of time)
This is an experiment of a travelers who got transit visa for there trip: Last trip, he landed himself in hot water due to travelling by Vietjet Air. He missed his flight for not having his visa done in advance as transiting in Bangkok from Doha to Vietnam. At first, he didn’t know that Vietjet Air couldn’t support him transit support. With no transit visa, at last he had to stay in Bangkok and missed his flight to Ho Chi Minh City.
In conclusion, you should find out carefully about Vietnam transit visa when planning your trip to this country, in order to avoid unwanted trouble, especially when you are in foreign country.